Back when I was in college, May 1993 until December 1999, I made a small 24 inch square table to do my homework on while in my lift-chair. The idea came to me when I found a nice sturdy piece of wood sitting by the dumpster at school. I inquired at the maintenance office as to whether or not the wood was actually being thrown away or if it just happened to be by the dumpster. They told me that it was indeed being thrown away and that I could take it if I wanted it. Obviously, I took it. I used it as the main support in the middle of the table. As I would be putting sort of heave books on the table, I needed something very sturdy, and that piece of wood was it. It’s the white piece that is off center.
The next place I went was to the Lowe’s Home Improvement Store near me. I needed a piece of wood that was bigger than the piece that I had brought home from school. They had many different sizes of “scrap” plywood. These were pieces that were left when a customer needed a piece of wood to be cut to a certain size and didn’t want to have to worry about taking the left over piece home. To my surprise, I found a piece that was 24 inches square and 3/8 inch thick. This was perfect for me to make a table top with. next I bought some 2×2 inch square pieces of wood that were 8 feet long. I had them cut onto 24 inch long pieces for the legs. To make the table be more portable, I also put wheels on it. You can see two of the 2X2 in legs in the second picture below.
Before actually putting the table together, I covered the piece of wood with wood grain looking contact paper. This was to prevent me from getting splinters in my fingers and hands from the edges of the table. I bought some very long screws to attach the top of the table to the legs. I put the two front legs back a little bit so that I could pull the table over my lap while I was in my chair. You can see that in the very first picture shown and in the second picture above, on the right hand side of the picture. I drilled holes in the bottom of the legs to be able to put the wheels on them. I used carpet casters so that the table would roll smoother. To be sure to get the center of the legs, I drew two lines that made an X, connecting top left corner to bottom right corner and top right corner to bottom left corner, and then drilled a hole in each of the four legs. After that, all I had to do to put the wheels on was to hammer them into the holes that I had just drilled. I was proud of myself for being able to make the table. As you can see, the legs are taped with black Gorilla tape. That’s because when I had to change out the wheels after one of them broke, the legs started cracking up from the wheels. I didn’t want them to crack all the way up, so I taped them to stop the crack from going any further up the legs.
My pride didn’t last too long. The first time a friend’s husband saw the table, he sort of laughed at it. He said that what I had done so far was correct, but that I wasn’t finished with it yet. He asked me if I minded him taking it home for a couple of days and then bringing it back when he was finished with it. I told him that he could take the table. When he brought it back to me, I was surprised at how much better it was. The table had small finishing boards that looked like really skinny woodwork boards around the four sides of it, and little triangular pieces in all of the corners where the legs joined the table. These were to stabilize the legs so that they wouldn’t get wobbly. It looked so much better, I almost cried. I had to give hum a hug and thank him vehemently for how much better he had made the table be. The little table ended up being my dining table as well as my study table, and now it is serving as my crocheting table. Needless to say, this is one of my better DIY projects after my friend’s husband finished with it.
I need to put some new contact paper on it because the old contact paper is starting to come off in spots. I had to replace the wheels a few months ago because the old ones started coming out whenever I rolled it from room to room and over a bump. This was true especially where the little piece of metal is at the end of carpeting going into a room with a tiled floor.
I took a picture of the little table I made. Hopefully, you can see the little black lines on the right side of the table. I marked the table, with a permanent black Sharpe, every inch up to one foot. Doing this helps me to know how much area I have done on each scarf. Every time I crochet a foot on the scarf, I mark it with a large safety pen. This process makes it easier for me to know how close I am to the five foot mark on the scarf. I try to make each scarf be 7 inches wide, and 60 inches long.
These are the measurements that the Red Scarf Project uses to have people crochet red scarves for children that are in Foster Care when they go off to college. Their project is called, “Red Scarf Project – Foster Care to Success”. I crocheted a scarf for them, and that was what got me started on crocheting scarves for the homeless.
Sorry for going off on a tangent, but I just thought that every once in a while you might like to read about something else besides the scarves that I have made, and see pictures of other things too, such as the table I made, and received help to finish it up properly. Hope you enjoyed reading about it and seeing the pictures. If you have any questions, please let me know. You can contact me by email at Bonnie@mammahen.org. If there are ony pictures you would like a close up of, let me know what picture you want me to take and I will take it and post it ASAP for you.