On Thursday, February 1st, I saw my orthopedic doctor about starting the surgeries on both of my rotator cuffs. I thought that I was going to be given a date when the first surgery was going to be, or given a date when I was to see the surgeon if the other doctor could not do the surgeries. Well, that’s not exactly what happened.
When the doctor came in, she did an examination of my shoulders and range of motion testing. Upon the examination, she discovered that I have a large tumor on the right side of my back, a cyst that she doesn’t think is malignant, and both of my shoulders are in really bad shape. She went on to let me know that rotator cuff surgery is considered to be elective surgery and sometimes the insurance companies won’t cover it.
Next I had to have some x-rays, and am scheduled to see the surgeon next week on the 6th. He will look at the x-rays and let me know what he finds out and what he decides to do about my having any surgery at all.
At that point, I just started crying, and have been in sort of a daze ever since. For the life of me I can’t understand rotator cuff surgery being considered elective surgery. I am already to the point that I have a hard time doing anything at all. It’s hard for me to get dressed, brush my hair, eat, and/or sleep. I have a hard time even picking up a 12 ounce can of pop. So how can it be considered elective surgery when, if I don’t have it, I will most likely end up in a nursing home and be unable to do anything for myself?
For the most part, I try not to pay attention to my medical issues unless they stop me in my tracks. If I concentrated on everything that’s wrong with me medically, I would go nuts. So, unless somebody specifically asks me, I don’t offer. Unfortunately, this time it has backfired on me. They told me that if I had have decided to have the surgery back in May of 2015 when they first discovered that both shoulders were bad, they probably could have corrected the situation. But since I have waited so long, my shoulders have deteriorated to the point that there may be nothing that the doctors can do.
I am not a quitter, and therefore will press the doctors as hard as I can to have the surgery. First they have to take care of the cyst so that there won’t be any spreading of infection during surgery. They will drain it on Tuesday when I see the surgeon, and most likely put me on antibiotics. Once that has healed, then they will discuss my options further so far as whether or not to do the surgery at all.
Because I have COPD, and some congenital heart defects (that don’t bother me at all), the first doctor said that there is a risk that I won’t come out of the anesthesia. I have had around 30 surgeries and have obviously always come out of the anesthesia, so what’s the big deal about it now? To my way of thinking, a lot of it has to do with the patients’ frame of mind and determination to get better. I have always done better than what was expected of me recuperation wise. When I had my knee replacement, I was doing things in 6 weeks that I wasn’t supposed to be able to do for 6 months. The doctor was shocked, to say the least. I just told him that I did my exercises like I was supposed to do, and even added a few extra times in here and there.
Needless to say, this is all hard to swallow. All I can do is to pray about it myself, ask my family, friends, and you – my readers, to also pray for me if you are praying people. Then I have to trust God that whatever is supposed to happen will happen. I can’t imagine that God would want me to have to stop crocheting the scarves just because of my shoulders. So now all I can do is wait until Tuesday and see what happens.
If you are a praying person, please be praying for me that this will all work out for the best, if it’s God’s will. Thank you in advance for those of you that will be praying for me. Those of you that are not praying people, just keep me in your thoughts that everything will work out the best way possible.
As always, I will keep you informed as quickly as I can. Sorry I had to wait so long to post this. But I have had to come to grips with everything. I will start back crocheting later tonight. I’m a little over half way finished with the Bright Yellow scarf. Hopefully, I will be able to finish it by tomorrow night and start on another one.
Sorry also, that this post is so long, but I am a very detailed person. As with most things, sometimes that is a good trait to have and sometimes it is a bad one. I don’t know which one it is this time. You will have to decide that for yourself.